THE LAST VESTIGES OF NORMALCY!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if what we see as NORMAL wasn't even real and we could create anything else instead?

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

“Where am I?”

I love walking, especially in nature, and last month I had the good fortune to move to a suburb with many natural walking options.


I live 3 blocks from the north end of the Meewasin Valley river trail. The South Saskatchewan River zigzags through the city of Saskatoon from Southwest to Northeast and the city has developed many trails along the river’s edge for cyclists and pedestrians. I had no idea the trail came up this far!


Last week I spent two and a half glorious hours exploring the local segment and managed to grab a couple of shots of the sun setting on the river.




The Meewasin Trail is also connected with Saskatoon’s Natural Grasslands Conservation Area. It is a large area of natural prairie land complete with many flora and fauna which flourish locally.



In fact, it is one of the few conservation parks in the world which are found within city limits. It is a great place to walk or meditate in nature and it is only a block from home.


I live a scant 2 minute walk from the outer edge of the city in one of the new neighbourhoods. I love that because I can be walking on a dirt road in the country in a matter of minutes. That really brings out the old farmer in me and before you know it I will be chewing on a stem of grass.

On one of my daily walks I headed down to the end of my street and out into the country, walking around the city through the field. After walking for some time I re-entered the city in another neighbourhood. I noticed a street sign off in the distance and thought, “Ah good! This will tell me where I am.”



As you can see, I was at the corner of 600 Lane and 200 Crescent. This cracked me up because it was no use at all. All the crescents have the same signs except for the one out at the main street. There is no allowance for walkers coming in the back door.


From the edge of Saskatoon to the downtown core, Meewasin Trail is there. One stopping point which shouldn’t be missed is the new River Landing Area which is in the heart of the city. http://www.meewasin.com/development/riverfront/


I suppose I should get a map but that would take the fun of discovery out of my walks. On my last walk I discovered a shortcut to the Forestry Farm Park. You can be sure I will be over there on the next pleasant afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. great photos. can i come take a walk with you there. it looks very peaceful. thanks for sharing in simc.
    http://affamilycabral.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful place to be! I love walking and with that scenery I could see myself walking for hours.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts.....