THE LAST VESTIGES OF NORMALCY!

Wouldn't it be wonderful if what we see as NORMAL wasn't even real and we could create anything else instead?

Friday, December 4, 2009

Why Grandmothers Give Money For Christmas


The first couple of times it seemed really WRONG, like I had no interest in hand picking the perfect present for each grandchild. It wasn’t that I didn’t try. Children like stuff that I have never heard of before.


I learned very quickly to ask lots of questions and armed with a list would head out to the nearest store. Nope! The nearest department store was where I went to shop for my kids. These days the items on the list were all in specialty stores. Each kids choice in a different store of course and the closest was half way across town.


Alright, the second store I try has the first item on the list. I ask the clerk where to find it and she points. Now I have to tell her I don’t even know what it is! She rolls her eyes and says, as though talking to a moron, “Its’ a DVD!” “OK, thanks!” I say relieved that it is something I will recognize.


OK, one down! Next is a game for an “electronic device” that I have never seen before. I have the name and make of the game though. Argggg...... there is more than one version of the game and which model of player do they have? I don’t know. Like I said....never seen it before. “Does it matter that much?” I say to the clerk. “Yes” says the clerk, “Does it look like this?” “I don’t know” I say. “I have never seen it before." Already backing away from the counter, I say "maybe I will have to call them. I’ll come back tomorrow. Thanks.”


And that is how Granma Grinch was created. This year, crisp bills attached to the top of boxes of candy (so they won’t know it’s just money until they open it) and wrapped in festive paper. My can’t-go-wrong gifts are ready to deliver.


Humbug
Signed, Granma Grinch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts.....